Sunday, November 16, 2008

An explanation...


For my first REAL post I suppose I'll explain where my URL title came from.

My senior year of high school I was in a playwrighting class led by JC Lee, (You can find his blog at rantsravesandrethoughts.blogspot.com, I highly recommend it). We constantly had class debates about the beauty of destruction. I completely understood what Justin was talking about when he spoke about seeing the beauty in everything, including undeniable destruction. One day, while sitting in my study hall, I had a good friend show me a documentary about a place in Northern Ukraine (formerly the Soviet Union), which had been struck with a nuclear disaster in 1986. After the radiation began, everyone was commanded to leave their homes behind, leave everything. 22 years later we see some of the most unbelievable beauty coming through. Homes, sports stadiums, amusement parks, and basically everything in the area has gone into remission, the earth is reinstalling itself, nature has taken over this run down city. I may sound crazy calling this beauty, but you'd have to see it for yourself, the documentary is so much more breath taking than the pictures I am about to post, but in the same breath, the pictures have more life and death in them than I can imagine.




Credit: http://www.lindsayfincher.com/chernobyl_tour_2007/




I believe that in this world all we can do is look for beauty or a glimpse of hope in every step we make or see. There is no telling what we can learn from the greatest disasters of our time, and learn we will, if we appreciate the story and the life behind them.

The things we hear and see are not just stories, are not just occurances that plagued a group that does not include us. This is the human race, this is our earth and our world and recognizing the eerie beauty and lesson behind every act of kindness or hatred.

Just think, through a disaster, through abandonment, this city's nature still prevailed. It's as if the life came back full force through this Chernobyl disaster. Chernobyl grows.



(Chernobyl was the title of the nuclear power plant located in the Soviet Union, not the specific place it affected.)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Tamlyn,

I'll be a frequent reader. Congratulations and thanks for the shout-out.

That day you shared the photos with me had a profound impact on my writing, so the exchange was mutual.

Hope all is well...keep it up...